Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Three Projects

Here are three projects I'd work on if I had a room for myself, and unlimited resources at my disposal:

1) Maze of Graffiti poems
I got the idea for this from a book called as "Graffiti Moon" by Cath Crowley, in which one of the main characters and his best friend go around painting graffiti on the walls of Sydney in the dead of the night. The paintings are always accompanied by a poem from the best friend, oftentimes making a political statement.

I am enthralled by the idea of finding little surprises like these while walking through a city in the middle of the night.



My project would consist of a maze built into a really large and darkened room. There would be multiple entrances, and the maze would be so large so as to allow the public to see at most 50% of the works before making it to the center (and exit). I want an element of chance to be in it, to really make the public revel in the feeling of being able to see a particular piece, given the design of the maze.

2) Walk through Local group of galaxies
This idea stems through my many visits to science museums and planetariums throughout U.A.E, and also through the astronomy class I took last semester. Again, I'd require a really large room. This project would stimulate a walk through the Local group of galaxies, allowing for interactivity in some way.
It would also stimulate common phenomena like supernovas, black hole accretion , birth of a star, etc. through live models and projections.
See Explanation.  Clicking on the picture will download
 the highest resolution version available.

M82 X-1


3) Storybook room
Stories have always fascinated me, especially the intricate ones. The idea for this stems from visits to the Dubai museum and the Akshardham temple  in Delhi. The Dubai museum is different from other museums in that it tells the story of how Dubai came to be as it is, instead of just presenting artifacts. The visitors have to walk through history itself, past life-sized dioramas of pearl-diving in real, life size dhows, to mud houses in an oasis. The museum depicts every aspect of life in the Dubai of centuries past.

Akshardham does a similar thing, but instead of walking, visitors have to go on a boatride through 50,000 years worth of Indian history. The boat ride is also accompanied by commentary and music.

I'd like to create a storybook room filled with such life-sized dioramas, where the visitors not only hear and see the story, but feel exactly as the characters feel. I want them to feel the rain on their characters faces, the sand on the characters' toes. I want them to feel branches crunch under their boots, and to feel the biting wind that blows through a haunted house.

The story will be narrated to the visitors as they walk through the room, accompanied by music at appropriate places.

No comments:

Post a Comment