Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Artist Statement

My artwork views the world through a philosophical as well as aesthetic lens. Each of my visual poems is a construction, carefully combining concrete words and abstract images to eternally capture an idea to a wall. I rely heavily on our desire to make sense of the world we live in, our inherent curiosity, and attraction to aesthetic beauty. My artwork is me showing people my solution to this great mystery we call life, one question at a time.
The pieces themselves span a wide range of topics, as diverse as astronomical philosophy, philosophical politics, and holographic introspection. I work from outside-in, always eavesdropping for ideas, experiences, and inspiration in the world around me. Once I have one of these three things, I write the poem and paint the visual poem on paper, often cutting up chunks and rearranging the pieces into a collage. The final draft is always created on a wall.
My biggest inspiration is Sarah Kay, a spoken word poet from New York City. I admire her for her ability to make her audience feel exactly how she feels, at the same time she feels it. I also admire her for her ability to paint abstract vivid images in her audience's minds without once lifting a paintbrush.
It's what I strive for in every one of my works.

No comments:

Post a Comment