Sunday, January 13, 2013

ISTA 401 intro

My experience in programming is pretty much limited to what I have learned in CSc 127A, which is an introduction to programming using Java. However, I liked the course enough that I now am  a CS major.
My experience in art is also pretty limited. As a kid I loved everything related to arts and crafts--I'd always take the art elective and work on projects in my free time. My favorite medium was oil pastels. It all stopped once other things started taking precedence--school, books, golf, writing, poetry. I'd love to start creating art again and I'm really excited about learning creative coding this semester.
One media artist I really like is Kurt Schneider--he works with singer Sam Tsui to create youtube covers that integrate different videos of themselves playing different instruments/singing background vocals. Here's a video in which they perform an acapella cover of "King of Anything" by Sara Bareilles.


Here's another one in which Kurt Schneider plays the piano, acoustic guitar, electric guitar and electric keyboard for a cover of "Titanium" by David Guetta ft. Sia.


 The second artist I really like is Nevena Nilolcheva. She first works on pen and paper and then enhances it digitally. I love her work because of the vivid colors and its ethereal quality. The way she incorporates subtle textures into her work is really beautiful.




The third artist I really like is Miwa Matrayek, who performs beautiful shows using music, shadows, and art. This video shows her projecting her work on the screen and manipulating it with her shadow. 

It shows three scenes.In the first one, she becomes an island in a creation tableau. I love how the stars are projected, and how they rotate as the seasons change to show the birth of mankind, discovery of fire, extinction of a species through hunting, and finally, the conversion of all trees into a funeral pyre for the man. 



The second one shows her walking through the cityscape. I love the music arrangement here. It's simply mindblowing.

The last scene shows her creating domestic scenes in shadow and video using magical streams of light. I love the way the city surrounds her, as though she is manipulator of it all.



No comments:

Post a Comment